What are the keys to your success? Here are 27.5 Lessons I’ve learned leading Better Leaders Better Schools for six years I’d like to share with you.
Today is the Better Leaders Better Schools’ ORIGIN DAY. I started this organization/website/podcast/business/movement six years ago, today.
Since then the podcast has been downloaded over 1.5 million times and I have the privilege of serving around 100 leaders in my current coaching experiences. My newest book is being published by Corwin + the AASA. BLBS is changing the way school leaders experience high-quality professional development.
And we are just getting started.
Today, I wanted to share 27 lessons I’ve learned after creating Better Leaders Better Schools on September 2, 2015.
Enjoy the list. It’s not in order of importance.
I would LOVE it if you put in the comments, which idea you RESONATE with most and WHY.
27.5 lessons learned leading BLBS for six years
1. The best time to start a podcast was in 2015. The second best time is today.
2. People won’t believe in your dream. Family and friends won’t believe in your dream. Don’t let that stop you.
3. Everyone has the imposter syndrome. Show up anyway and do the work. That’s called being a professional.
4. Everyone wins when a leader gets better. Everyone wins when you get better.
5. You don’t have to lose for me to win.
6. Question the status quo.
7. There is only one you. What would the world miss out on if you didn’t show up?
8. You can’t go wrong treating people right.
9. When you start anything new, you undervalue what you offer. Increase your confidence and raise your prices. The value is there.
10. Focus. The shiny object syndrome is real.
11. Be content with where you serve. The grass isn’t greener on the other side. It’s greener where you water it.
12. Be a good boss … to yourself.
13. Overnight success is years in the making.
14. Avoid getting affirmation from comments, likes, retweets, and everything else on social media.
15. Social media is a distraction. Use it to spread your message and build relationships. If you notice yourself scrolling stop.
16. Good ideas executed are more valuable than great ideas discussed.
17. Master the art of storytelling.
18. Everyone is a marketer and in sales no matter if they are a CEO, principal, or philosopher.
19. Emotional intelligence is a key to success.
20. Talk about your goals in public. Show your work in public. Make mistakes in public.
21. Name your community. It’s like giving them a Superman ‘S’ they wear underneath their uniform.
22. Don’t read any reviews.
23. Invest in yourself more and more each year. Hire coaches. Join masterminds. Spend what you consider a ‘scary’ amount
23.5 In 2015 that was $1K. In 2021 I’ve invested over $15K in coaches, courses, masterminds, and programs to make me better. My impact and income have risen proportionately to the investment made in myself.
24. Read broadly and leverage the best ideas, strategies, and tactics from any industry.
25. The right WHO is infinitely more important than HOW.
26. Top performers focus on eating, sleeping, moving, meditating, and unplugging.
27. Make a Ruckus.
Thank you for reading. I look forward to revisiting this list and adding to it next year.
Please leave a COMMENT below on which lesson you needed to hear TODAY.
EXTRA CREDIT if you share this post, because I really am proud of what I’ve built, how I’ve served, and what I’ve learned. By sharing this post you’ll help me live out my personal value of the RIPPLE EFFECT and impact even more LEADERS.
Keep Making a Ruckus,
PS … if you are a school leader and interested in LEVELING UP your CULTURE I’ve created a FREE 5-day challenge for you.