- I was the drum major in high school (and my band director told me I shook my hips too much when I conducted!).
- I have been eating a mostly plant based diet for almost two years (I sneak off to have NY pizza and if someone serves me meat I don’t make a big stink about it).
- I have lived in 4 different states in the USA and 4 different countries.
- I know just enough of the Shona language to be dangerous and say something that I think means one thing, but actually means another — this can turn into some hilarious conversations!
- I’ve created over 1000 podcast episodes and have earned over 1.5 million downloads.
- I pretend to sing opera around the house when the mood strikes.
- I constantly talk to myself throughout the day, and I often crack jokes that make me (an audience of one) cry with laughter.
- My first job was in a comic book shop in 6th grade called Fat Dutchies.
- My favorite superhero is Spider-man.
- In the 3rd grade Thanksgiving play I had the best line that brought the house down after I said these words, “I’m hungry. Let’s eat!”
- I have two webbed toes on my left foot.
- If you invite me to play a board game, I cannot refuse. I love board games!
- The first pair of shoes I bought with my first teacher paycheck were Jordans. I never had them growing up and I always wanted them.
- I haven’t been able to really smell for decades. That improved after I changed my diet.
- My favorite beer is a Westmalle Tripel followed by a blonde, La Chouffe. Both are Belgian.
- I coached 100+ high school students from the far south side of Chicago to run and complete the Chicago marathon. Together, we raised just over $25K for clean water projects around the world.
- The best compliment I received in Europe: you don’t play football like an American.
- The best compliment I received as a principal: you brought a sense of calm to our building that was sooooooooo needed.
- The best compliment I received from my wife: If Danny says he will do something, it’s as good as done.
- I still buy toys and read comics. My wifi is called Wakanda and my wife and I named our car T’Challa.
- I love making terrariums.
- I draw and paint. I send original works to clients, friends, and family.
- I always wanted to pursue a PhD because of the “professorial” life. I was drawn to creating my own schedule, while reading and writing a ton, and teaching others (helping them see what they don’t already see). I earned the nickname, “The Professor” in the altMBA, and they didn’t even know this about me!
If you made it this far down, you either know me (and wanted to learn more) or the list structure of this post you found interesting.
I created this post for two reasons:
- Share some fun facts about me.
- Model something you could do with your team to get to know each other just a little bit better next year.
Speaking of next year . . .
I’ve created a FREE 5-day challenge that will teach you how to optimize your personal habits in order to have your best school year yet.
Say “Goodbye” to 60+ hour work weeks, increased stress, and poor health. Say “Hello” to your best school year ever.